On Tuesday, August 14, 2018, the U.S. Department of Education published a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) in the Federal Register seeking public comment on a proposal to rescind the Gainful Employment regulations and update the College Scorecard that would provide program-level outcomes for all higher education programs who participate in Title IV programs.
The Department believes these revisions will improve transparency and inform student enrollment decisions through a market-based accountability system. The American Association of Cosmetology Schools (AACS) supports these revisions and are requesting your assistance to provide comments to make these proposed regulations official.
AACS has developed a comprehensive response that details our comments and suggestions along with a template letter for your use to submit to the Department. Instructions and the template are provided below.
We are requesting that each school owner work with their team to submit as many letters as possible.
Deadline to submit is September 13, 2018 by 11:59 PM ET.
Instructions on How to Submit Your Comments
Step One: Edit and save the provided template
Open the linked template (includes a cover letter and document of AACS’ responses). Replace the highlighted sections with your information. Re-title the document using your name and save it as a Microsoft Word document.
(Note: The U.S. Department of Education has specifically requested that each submission be in Microsoft Word format so they can easily search the documents based upon key words/phrases.)
Step Two: Visit the website Regulations.gov
Use the link provided here or URL below to visit the website:
Step Three: Fill in the required fields
Under the “Your Information” section:
- Type the following message: “Response to proposed Gainful Employment regulations” in the Comment field
- Click “Choose Files” to upload your previously saved Microsoft Word document or drag and drop the document to the “Drop files here” area
- Fill in your First Name and Last Name
- (Optional) Check the appropriate box regarding your information and fill in the fields or leave both boxes unchecked to proceed
- Click on the “Select a Category” dropdown menu and select “Private/For-Profit Institution of Higher Education”
- Click “Continue”
Step Four: Review and Submit
Under the “Your Preview” section, review the information for accuracy.
- If revisions are required, click the “Edit” button to return to the previous page to make your corrections.
- If everything is correct, check the box marked “I read and understand the statement above” and click the “Submit Comment” button.
- Once submitted, you will receive a “Receipt” acknowledging that your letter has been added to the comments.
Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments and supporting the beauty and wellness industry in our efforts to continue to provide quality education to students.